Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jesus saves, and also recycles

Since I'm not going to post 1,000 words for you, let's just get this over with.


There. This is the world-renowned Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil. And yeah, it's green. Not like an M&M, not like the Grinch, but more like Al Gore (without the slimy haircut...).

Jesus turned green after the Rio+20 summit in Belo Horizonete, Brazil. At this summit, Jerusalem's deputy mayor for planning and environment, Naomi Tsur, suggested that such religious icons worldwide could be utilized as vehicles to push the "eco-agenda." In addition to the above statue turned lime jello, Bethlehem, Calvary, and the grave of King David were discussed.

Before one of you start verbally-pummeling me for hating the Earth, that is not the case. I am adamantly against littering, wastefulness, and other nature hating behaviors. I recycle when I can, and usually bring my own coffee cup to refill at gas stations. Also, I only shower once a week to conserve water. Okay, the last part isn't true... You're welcome.

I would even go as far as to say that it is my duty as a Christians to be a good steward of the planet that God has given to me, but that is where the bus stops. This is going to far. While I would be willing to bet that if Jesus were walking the earth today that He would recycle, I don't think He'd spend much time pushing the issue. Rather, He would be preaching the gospel to the lost and encouraging and building up His people to do the same. He'd be healing the sick, raising the dead, and setting the captives free. As they say, He's got bigger fish to fry, and I think using Christ to push an environmental agenda (or any other agenda for that matter) is an attempt to cheapen God Himself.

I've heard that Jesus is a Republican. I've also heard He is a Democrat. However, the Bible says that a double-minded man is unstable in all of his ways, so Jesus can't be both. Some of us (probably all of us) are wrong about His politics, although I know He would've been good at them, because He was always kissing babies. I've seen bumper stickers that tout Jesus as a Denver Broncos fan. After all, aren't sunsets orange? Depending on who you ask, Jesus was gay. He was also straight, and married with children. Jesus is better than super heroes, drugs, and Santa Claus, but He isn't as tough as Chuck Norris (if you ask the right, or wrong people).

You know what? Jesus is the Son of God. He was born of a virgin, lived without sin, died on a cross so I wouldn't have to, and offers us life everlasting. Jesus is so much more than a political tool: He is King! Jesus isn't green. He is God. Any attempt to turn Jesus into something that He isn't is an affront to Him and is a surefire way to prove that you don't really know Him all that well.

Ryan Saffer

Community Site Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment