Friday, July 27, 2012

Can you follow me?

"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1).

This is a bold statement, and no doubt one often used to portray the apostle Paul as an arrogant man. But these arguments must be thrown out, as all Scripture is inspired by our unerring God and is therefore good for our instruction and guidance (2 Timothy 3:16). In light of this, I do not believe that Paul could have said something sinful (ie: prideful) when writing this letter to the church at Corinth. After all, the word is inspired. God couldn’t possibly have inspired Paul to sin, could he? That being said, Paul was so good at following Christ that people could follow Him and thereby, follow Christ. I’m not suggesting that Paul was messianic in any way here, but that he was setting a fine example of what a man of God should look like. Truly, Christ was alive in him.

But look at this teaching through the eyes of Paul. When he said that he beat his body into submission, I’m sure he meant it. When, near the end of his life, he said that he had ran well and finished the course, he knew within the depths of his soul that it was true. For him to be able to advise a church (and over the course of time, every follower of Christ) that he was a worthy example to follow, he had to walk it out, every day, without fail. Paul didn’t say follow me as I follow Christ, except when I fall, or maybe just not on Friday night. Every moment of every day Paul set the example. As a Christian, people are watching you every day, waiting for you to slip so that they may accuse you. How much more Paul after a statement like that? The world loves to discredit a Christian, and Paul all but dared them to do it. And because the word of God is true, he never gave them the chance.

What a testimony! Can you tell your friends, your children, your congregation to follow you as you follow Christ? I have thought long and hard over this and a few things are clear: I’m not able to say this, and I’ve only met a small handful of men who could. But if Paul could instruct believers to follow him as he follows Christ, then it has to be possible that, when the people follow Paul, they will be able to one day say “Follow me as I follow Paul as he follows Christ.” And then cut out the middle-man, where they too may say “Follow me, as I follow Christ.” This is not merely possible, but required if we as men expect to lead our world. What good is it to follow Christ, after all, if doing so doesn’t change you? The world is watching, and if we don’t show them something worth seeing, they will want no part of it.

This generation, maybe more than anything else, needs the zeal of Paul to see Christ glorified in all things. Your children need you to catch this zeal. Your co-workers need you to catch this zeal. Your lost and dying world needs you to catch this zeal. For some, the fate of their eternal soul depends on you. Are you willing, by your own apathy, to condemn someone to Hell? It is past the time for men to stand up and be men. The church has worn out its welcome. Religion as usual no longer cuts the mustard, and the world doesn’t see value in us anymore. And why should they? What do we have to offer? Most churches do not say “Follow me, as I follow Christ,” but rather “Follow me, and we can be nice.” There is little value in being nice. Nonbelievers can be nice. It’s time, brothers. It’s time we stop being nice and start being real. People don’t need to be spoon-fed the secrets to living their best life now. They don’t need to learn how to be a better person. They need to be like Jesus. And the only way they will ever be like Jesus if we are like Jesus.

Step up, men. This is your call to action. Stand up, and shout it from the rooftops: “Hey world! Follow me, as I follow Christ!”



Ryan Saffer
Community Site Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment